Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tuesday in Holy Week

Psalm 6  Jeremiah 15:10-21  Philippians 3:15-21  John 12:20-26

Jesus says, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified.”

Words matter. 

Today’s lessons speak of human weariness and materialism. Is there a connection here?

The Psalmist begs God to “be gracious to me . . . for I am languishing
. . . Save my life, deliver me for the sake of thy steadfast love. . . .”

Paul preaches that many have values set on earthly things, but that Christians have a call higher than materialism. He entreats us to think about what is honorable, pure, lovely, and gracious.

The prophet Jeremiah hears the Lord say “If you utter what is precious and not what is worthless you shall be as my mouth.” 

Can my words make a difference? The ones I speak? Write? Sing? 

Jesus fashions his words into a parable of the “dead” seed which then produces a plant. It’s a lesson for the disciples and humankind that real life exists beyond the cross, beyond death. But also, it points to the reality that what we do in this life, what we say, can make a difference.

As Jeremiah had cried to the lord: “Thy words were found and I ate them, and thy words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart; for I am called by thy name O Lord, God of hosts.” 

As we prepare this week for the mystery of the Cross, we remember that the words we speak are also like seeds that can produce new life.

Help me, Lord, to meditate on the ways I can use my words, to comfort, to praise and to create.


— Kay Slaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment